Mission Statement, Vision, Values, Culture
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
“To provide individuals who have an intellectual disability the opportunity to enhance their lives and celebrate personal achievement through positive sport experiences.”
Special Olympics BC Burnaby offers programs for individuals of all ages and ability levels. Athletes can train year round and have the opportunity to participate in local, provincial, national, and international events, no matter their developmental level. There is equal opportunity for everyone.
Special Olympics BC Burnaby is first, and foremost, a sport organization. We treat the athletes as athletes, and as equals. We promote effort, dedication, and fair play in sport. In return, Special Olympians introduce us to what is best in ourselves. They show us that their spirit measures true heroes, not by their medals. The Athlete Oath evidences this:
“Let we win,
But if I cannot win,
Let me be brave in the attempt”
Special Olympics BC Burnaby is the pre-eminent provincial local organization, responsible for all aspects of Special Olympics in the city of Burnaby.
We continually promote and enhance all disciplines of our local in order to become an organization that all individuals aspire to belong. We take pride in continuing to attract and develop strong and progressive leadership; capable of leading through solid, proactive, moral and ethical terms with respect for; and assistance to each other.
- We have strong coaching programs with people waiting for the opportunity to participate.
- We create equality and fairness in our organization for all and have integrity and respect for the athletic participants.
- We serve our athletes in their desires to seek opportunity in achieving their goals through local, Provincial, National and International competitions.
- We build programs that are unparalleled.
- We are financially self-sufficient.
We acknowledge that to be a successful and meaningful organization, the best of human traits and skills are required. To make our organization a rewarding experience we must strive to assure we provide an equal opportunity for all who wish to participate at whatever level or function, through fairness, integrity, respect and pride. When these principles are applied, greater opportunities exist for all individuals to get the most out of Special Olympics BC Burnaby. Employing these principles will lead participants to focus on life values and skills as opposed to a desire to win or defeat an opponent.
Special Olympics BC Burnaby is proud to have our athletes learn about setting goals, working hard and having fun. Our wish is to develop our athletes to respect their own individual abilities and those of their opponents and peers. Above all, value the effort of all participants, regardless of their ability.
We have intense commitment to the success of our athletes.
Athletes are the reason we exist.
We provide enhanced education and assistance to our Coaches.
Coaches make our organization successful.
We respect, support and train our volunteers.
Volunteers are our greatest resource.
OUR CULTURE :
“Fairness, Integrity, Respect and Pride in all that we do”
– We are committed our the Values, Culture and Mission of Special Olympics BC Burnaby
– We create an environment of fun and team so all will enjoy being part of our team
– We praise when warranted and teach / coach to correct behaviour to gain praise
– We accept that we are responsible for our actions and outcomes
– We always apologize for any upsets first then look for a solution
– We always speak the truth. What we promise is what we deliver
– We only ever make agreements we are willing and intend to keep
– We communicate any potential broken agreements at the first opportunity
– We clear up all broken agreements immediately
– We take responsibility for responses to our communications
– We always speak positively of our fellow team members
– We focus on cooperation and always come to a resolution, not a compromise
– We ask for help when we need it and be compassionate to others who ask us
– We acknowledge what is being said as true for the speaker at that moment
– We have a willingness to win and allow others to win; Win/Win
– We display at all times pride towards our organization
– We focus our attention on the successful outcome of whatever we are doing
– We always strive to learn, grow and master
– We do whatever it takes to stay together and achieve team goals
– We are flexible and able to change if what we’re doing is not working
– We will be willing to learn from our mistakes